Senior dog Supplements
As our beloved feline and canine companions age, you may be wondering about the best supplements for senior pets. As they slow down and vital organs like the liver start to degenerate. Like humans, it is important to support our pets as they age and thankfully there are many things we can do. In this blog we discuss the benefits of using iPRO Support as a supplement for ageing pets.
Recent studies have shown two natural remedies that may be beneficial to ageing pets. These remedies are probiotics and milk thistle. They have gained considerable attention for their potential to promote well-being. In this blog, we will explore the remarkable advantages of these supplements for our senior furry friends.
Milk thistle for ageing pets
Silymarin, also known as milk thistle, is a nutritional supplement, which is used to treat liver conditions, diseases, and toxicities.
It is used in products made for cats, dogs, birds, rabbits, horses, cows, and other animals.
Milk thistle may also have some benefit in preventing certain cancers, preventing chemotherapy side effects, and in protecting the kidneys, as a result offering many benefits to your pet as they age.
Here’s why milk thistle is beneficial for ageing cats and dogs:
1. Liver Support: The liver plays a vital role in detoxification and metabolism. As pets age, their livers may become more susceptible to damage from toxins, medications, and other factors. Milk thistle contains an active compound called silymarin, which has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects. It helps protect liver cells, promotes regeneration, and supports liver function.
2. Anti-Aging Effects: Milk thistle contains antioxidants that can help ageing pets by fighting a harmful process called oxidative stress. This process speeds up ageing and leads to chronic diseases. By reducing cell damage, milk thistle promotes a longer and healthier life.
3. Improved Digestion: Milk thistle stimulates bile production, aiding in the digestion and absorption of fats. As a result, this can be particularly beneficial for older pets with decreased digestive function or liver-related digestive disorders.
4. Detoxification Support: The liver is responsible for filtering and eliminating toxins from the body. Milk thistle enhances the liver’s detoxification pathways, assisting in the removal of harmful substances, therefore, promoting overall health.
The role of probiotics in ageing pets
Your pet’s body is full of trillions of bacteria, viruses and fungi, collectively known as the microbiome. Overall, the health and well-being of both you and your best friend are affected by these gut microbes.
Probiotics promote the restoration of a healthy gut microbiome in pets by replenishing beneficial bacteria and supporting digestive balance.
Here are some of the key advantages of probiotics for ageing cats and dogs:
1. Strengthened Digestive System: Pets’ digestive systems can become more fragile as they age. This can result in problems such as diarrhoea, constipation, or inflammatory bowel disease. Probiotics can help restore the balance of beneficial bacteria in the gut, improving digestion and nutrient absorption.
2. Strengthened Immune System: Ageing pets often experience a decline in immune function, making them more susceptible to infections and diseases. Probiotics can help strengthen the immune system. They do this by increasing antibody production and activating immune cells. This reduces the risk of illnesses.
3. Alleviation of Allergies: Many older pets develop allergies or sensitivities to certain foods or environmental factors. Probiotics can help reduce allergic reactions. They do this by regulating the immune system and strengthening the gut barrier. This can reduce symptoms and improve wellbeing.
4. Antibiotic side effects: Older pets often require antibiotics to treat infections. However, this medication can disrupt the balance of their gut flora. To counteract these side effects, it is important to take certain measures. As a result, probiotics can help replenish the beneficial bacteria, minimising the risk of antibiotic-associated diarrhoea and supporting a healthy microbial environment.
Probiotics and milk thistle may offer remarkable benefits for ageing cats and dogs. Probiotics have many benefits. They promote digestive health, therefore strengthen the immune system. Additionally, they can alleviate allergies.
In conclusion, milk thistle also has a range of advantages. It supports liver function, combats oxidative stress, and improves digestion. Finally, it aids in detoxification.
It’s essential to consult with a veterinarian before introducing any new supplements to your pet’s routine. Proper care and natural remedies can help us improve the well-being of our ageing pets. This will increase their quality of life.
iPro-Support is our go-to powder supplement for liver support in senior pets and can be used for both dogs and cats.
The benefits of iPro-Support have been endorsed by our resident vet, Dr Claire. You can see Dr Claire’s regular videos filled with excellent tips and information by following us on Facebook or Instagram.